Conscious Sedation Dentistry
- Sedation will provide you a way of getting your dental work done while totally relaxed and completely comfortable.
- Sedation is achieved with the use of various oral sedatives (triazolam, lorazepam and hydroxyzine).
- Sedation is NOT general anesthesia; there are no IV’s or injections of sedatives.
- You will NOT be knocked out.
- Sedation allows you to be conscious and responsive.
- You will be very sleepy and relaxed.
- You will be able to verbalize your needs and wants.
- You will be monitored during your entire appointment with blood pressure and pulse oximetry.
- Someone will be with you at all times.
- The sedatives used are amnesiacs – you will have little or no memory of the experience.
- The sedatives used relax your nervous system so you will feel little discomfort and will probably not need any pain medication post-operatively.
- You will continue to relax the rest of the day and into the evening and a responsible companion should be with you until the following day.